Monday, June 14, 2010

IDEs - is it just me?

I've just been playing Vanilla in OSX, and the lack of block walls annoys me. Several months ago I bought a Mac, partly so I would be able to do OSX stuff for FAangband - stuff like fixing it so I could use block walls. But I haven't. Because I'm still doing all my coding in an Ubuntu VM, using emacs and grep, and gdb when I absolutely have to.

Apparently OSX has a wonderful IDE called XCode, but every time I open it I think "Now I have to learn how to use this" and shut it again. IDEs make me nervous, because I'm not sure what they're doing, and I don't trust them with my code. Mind you, I thought the same about version control, and I seem to be over that.

Or maybe there are just too many options, and I can't decide what to do. Or it's because I'm too lazy to think about it. We'll see, I guess.

5 comments:

  1. I ended up using Eclipse because it was cross platform which meant I didn't have to worry about relearning anything when I made a switch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I could actually use my current method on the command line in OSX, but I would like to actually improve the OSX port natively, and I think XCode is the best way to do that. I guess I'll get to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this guide may have solved my problems - although I have only read a couple of pages...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to get to grips with eclipse, but it still seems more efficient to use nano and grep ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. the # walls are certainly very unattractive to me, i can't play without block walls

    ReplyDelete